Sunday, February 17, 2008


Just wanted to share with y'all.... Been a stressful week.

Kiel, as you know, went to Boston with his family for a funeral. On their way back on Tuesday night, they hit a blizzard. It took them 6 hours to get to Baltimore; it should have only taken them an hour. Twelve hours after departure, they arrived home safely in VA. I was very thankful; however, I still couldn't sleep. Kiel had an interview with TriCities Beverage (which is a Wine Distributor that the Harbor Club used when we were still in business. Our good friend Biggins works for TriCities.) Biggins called Kiel as they were making their way back to VA and told him he had gotten him a job (basically) and all Kiel had to do was go talk to the guy and fill out his paperwork. The interview was at 9AM the next morning in VA beach. Now Kiel got back from Boston at 4am.... Do the math, not a lot of sleep. It was raining here that morning. It was this past Wednesday.

I tossed and turned that night, and when I did sleep, all I dreamt about was rain. Rain hitting pavement, raindrops, etc. Anything that had to do with rain. I couldn't figure out why, and when Kiel left, I just got up. I couldn't sleep anyway and finally agreed to myself that I would take a nap later. At 10:30 I got a call from Kiel, but I was in the shower. I call him back, and all I can hear is road noise. Cars going by, horns blowing, and Kiel sounds funny. "I've hydroplaned off the road. Let me call you back, the police are here." My heart starts to poud. No one is home, so I'm by myself. Ten minutes later, he calls me back. "My car is being towed to Chiltons." From there, he describes his heroing tale.

Apparently, the guy that was supposed to interview him had an employee call out sick. This meant the man had to drive a delivery truck that day and wanted to reschedule with Kiel. Kiel had no problem with this, so he just simply turned around. He said it was about five minutes after he turned around. He was on the highway, going about 60 mph. The next thing he knows, his car hits a patch of water and it sends him off the highway heading for a pole. Now this is the clencher: Kiel has NEVER worn his seatbelt for as long as I've known him. He will on long trips, but that's about it. It's stupid and I hate it, but he refuses to wear it. "It bothers his neck" is his excuse. This particular morning he had his seatbelt around his left arm, for whatever useless reason that may be. "I shut my eyes when I saw I couldn't slow down and the pole was coming right at me. I just wanted to relax my body for the impact." Next thing he knows, he's spinning and the car jumps. When the car finally comes to a stop, he hasn't hit a pole, but a TREE. He barely hit the tree and by the grace of God, he missed the pole by inches. The state trooper that helped him out of the car told him because he wasn't wearing his seatbelt, essentially what should have happened was this: Kiel should have hit the pole and gone through the windshield, but only before having his left arm RIPPED OFF because he decided to wrap the belt around his arm. "Honestly Mr.Curran, we should be scraping you off the highway today." the trooper said. According to the report, Kiel hit a patch of mud that was a foot long right before the pole, this caused his car to spin just a tad. The pole then caught his right wheel, snapped his tire in half, and broke his axel in two. The front end of the car was re-alligned. The tire, torn in two, and the axel broken in half. The cop said had he not hit the patch of mud, the impact from the pole would have killed him due to him not wearing his seatbelt. Thank the Lord for the patch of mud. Back to the tree; the pole slowed his speed down when it caught the wheel. He spun and hit the tree from the side of his car, thus coming to a stop.

Here, I was so worried about them coming home from Boston, only for the real danger to be the very next morning. His poor car is so sad. I wish I had a picture of it. It made me cry when I saw it. Covered in mud, a little crooked and leaning to one side, it has seen many adventures. He is having his car fixed, and it should be ready by Tuesday.... But I couldn't believe all of that. He walked away from it without a ticket and without any major injuries... Only a bump on the head from hitting the stearing wheel. It gives me goosebumps to think about it. By the grace of God he went off the road as opposed to oncoming traffic. Other people could have been hurt or killed.

Let's just say he buckles up now.. Click it or ticket right? All of that reminded me to pray for everyone, no matter when. Don't just pray because something is getting ready to happen that's important; pray to keep them safe at all times. I forget to do that. I pray for general things, and forget to go down my list of loved ones and ask for safety. That jolted me, reminding me to pray not just during the "Big Trips" with lots of danger in travel, but for the small trips up the road. You just never know.

I think I sprouted a gray hair over that one. Hope everyone is doing ok! Love you and BE SAFE!!!!! BUCKLE UP!!!!


jess said...

mmm... tini... that was intense.

i'm glad he's ok

trresa said...

I'm glad he's okay and I'm glad he's going to start wearing his seat belt!!! ALL the time.

Anita said...

Wow...that is a lesson for all of us isn't it???? I'm glad he's okay Tina. Love you!